Friday, December 9

in praise of shetland sweaters


Quickly; a "Shetland sweater" is one made of wool from a Shetland sheep, not one made in the Shetland Isles (100 miles north of the coast of Scotland) though the notoriously hardy sheep did supposedly originate there. Their yard may be ultra-fine (from the neck area) or more coarse, but the (often saddle-shouldered) crewneck sweater is generally from the rougher yarn. The sheep themselves have a wide range of colors and markings from coal black to brown to pure white but the white sheep are morepopular as the wool can then be dyed.

So what? So, these sweaters are hard wearing due to the rougher wool, generally inexpensive (in Scotland), hold their shape better than cotton, and thus have became a preppy staple. Top photo taken yday, below in 1989 (not same sweater but I guess my taste hasn't changed) just home from high school Christmas service (evidenced by kilt), cranking Galiga sound effects on the headphones. #geekery

11 comments:

bferry said...

bottom photo just made my day.

Common Boston Gentleman said...

"oysters dont change" = wisdom

Jho78 said...

In '89 all we had was a Kaypro.

Matthew Hranek said...

that pic is insane! please tell me you are wearing underwear...

Tobias said...

A kilt with boat shoes. Love it.

Apothecary Fox said...

@Matthew..a true scotsman never tells..

Jeremy said...

If you only knew how difficult (nearly impossible) it is to find this sweater in the U.S. They were such a staple here until the early 90s, only to be replaced by the dreaded cotton. I hate cotton sweaters. In my recent quest for a saddle-shoulder Shetland sweater, I have found either sub-standard stuff, or exactly what I am looking for, with the price range of between $175. to $225. I may have to buy a ticket to the U.K., as it would probably be cheaper to fly there and buy them and STILL save money. Best, Edward

james at 10engines said...

@jeremy talking my language.

Jeremy said...

An update to my previous comment: I just received my Bill's Khakis sweater today. The $225. model, which I somehow managed to find for $56.- shipping included. I guess the many hours of searching have paid off this time. It's a thing of beauty- colour Natural, similar to the one pictured on this page. Almost too nice to wear. But I will.

james at 10engines said...

@Jeremey nice follow up! got a link?

Jeremy said...

Got it here, James. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have any at the moment. I'd check back, in case they repost any. Happens all the time.



http://www.onthefly.com/product/bills-khakis/le-shetland-wool-sweater/33437