Wednesday, June 24

square egg

Photo from wikipedia. Nice camping grill.
What do you call this? One eyed-egyptian? Square egg?

This concoction known as "egg in a basket", "egg in a window", "egg in a frame", "square egg", "Alabama-Style Eggs" (despite not actually being commonly eaten in Alabama), "Popeye" (I am going to adopt that going forward) or a "one-eyed Egyptian". In parts of Pennsylvania it is called "spit in the eye." In Alaska it is sometimes known as "midnight sun." In parts of Massachusetts sometimes known as "gas house eggs" or "egg in toast." In the 10th edition of the Boy Scout Handbook, they are referred to as "one-eyed jacks". Also referred to as a "nest egg", "nested egg", "framed egg" (nice -ed.) or "egg in the hole". (paraphrased from the wiki entry.)

Anyway, good gimmick to get kids to eat eggs or just for a change.

8 comments:

A TIME TO GET said...

Do kids not usually eat eggs?

james at 10engines said...

our 1 y/o doesnt eat scrambled for some reason.. killing me. he did eat some 1eyeEgyptn this morning... so breakthrough i guess. the other we'an loves eggs, just got a kick out of this (ripping out the middle of the bread etc.)

Joe Gannon said...

My mom used to make these all the time when I was a kid. I used to like the piece that came out of the middle the most. Would set it aside and have it last. Always.
Just made these for the first time this spring for my little ones...they killed em'.

Sarah Fox said...

One eyed Egyptian in my book. Love the crispy middle part that you fry off and top off the egg with.

Mark C. said...

Wow, nostalgia! My great grandma used to make this style of egg for me when I was a kid. However, instead of a circle hers featured a square cut-out with the egg inside. She called it a "TV Egg". The presentation along with the cool name made it all the more fun to eat!

I miss my great grandma.

greenjeans said...

I think we called it toad in the hole? Always a favorite when I cook for my nephews...

Chandra said...

We call it egg in a hole and it's one of the biggest breakfast hits in our house! I actually wasn't aware of it until seeing V for Vendetta (they call it something else there) and it looked so wonderful I had to try it out!

Anonymous said...

This can only be a Popeye. All other names are wrong.